Government site helps recruit volunteers

In light of the government/media emphasis this week on volunteerism, I thought I'd look to see whether centers can register their volunteer opportunities on Serve.gov, and it appears you can. And it appears that centers are way ahead of me on this.

With a search for 'pregnancy' I found listings from several centers. And I was pleased to see they are able to state their missions unequivocally. Hope Pregnancy Center in Kileen, TX, advertises itself as "a Christ-centered, not-for profit organization with a mission to provide practical assistance to women facing an unplanned pregnancy. Hope also has a goal to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed."

Now, I don't know whether centers receiving inquiries via the government web site would have difficulties rejecting a volunteer (on the basis of faith or a less-than-complete sanctity of human life ethic). For instance, I found a listing from one center that advertised for board members. Aside from the inadvisability of recruiting people for such a crucial position this way, I was a little alarmed they did not specify that one would have to be pro-life to serve in that capacity.

Anyone have anything to share on what your experiences have been and how you'd advise using these web sites?

No comments:

Post a Comment