Why am I not so excited about "the Bieb"?

Okay, so teen pop idol star Justin Bieber makes some statements in Rolling Stone that hint he's on our side, but I'm not falling all over myself to promote him as a role model as everyone else in the pro-life movement seems to be doing. (Are they doing it as a sort of tit-for-tat to the news 'House' actress Lisa Edelstein made a pro-choice ad?) Why can't I get on the band-wagon? Well, read what he actually said:
"'I don't think you should have sex with anyone unless you love them,' Bieber says. When asked if he believes in abstinence until marriage, Bieber – who is reportedly dating fellow teen star Selena Gomez – seems wary: 'I think you should just wait for the person you're...in love with.'"
Uh, that's not abstinence. That's pretty much what everyone says who doesn't practice abstinence.
"He does have a solid opinion on abortion. 'I really don't believe in abortion,' Bieber says. 'It's like killing a baby?' How about in cases of rape? 'Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.'"
Okay, I will grant you that most 14-year-olds (let alone fully grown politicians) don't have a ready answer for that one. I can be grateful his heart's in the right place, but he's no Lia Mills.

What makes me expect more is that I just read yesterday that Bieber claims to be a Christian. Let's hope someone takes him aside to school him on these matters so the next time Rolling Stone or E! come calling, he'll be ready with a better answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment