"I wish my mother had aborted me"

Lynn Beisner writes in The Guardian
It is true that in the past 12 years, I have been able to rise above the circumstances of my birth and build a life that I truly love. But no one should have to make such a Herculean struggle for simple normalcy. Even given the happiness and success I now enjoy, if I could go back in time and make the choice for my mother, it would be abortion.
The world would not be a darker or poorer place without me. Actually, in terms of contributions to the world, I am a net loss. Everything that I have done – including parenting, teaching, researching, and being a loving partner – could have been done as well, if not better by other people. Any positive contributions that I have made are completely offset by what it has cost society to help me overcome the disadvantages and injuries of my childhood to become a functional and contributing member of society.
It is not easy to say, "I wish my mother had aborted me." The right would have us see abortion as women acting out of cowardice, selfishness, or convenience. But for many women, like my mother, abortion would be an inconvenient act of courage and selflessness. I am sad for both of us that she could not find the courage and selflessness. But my attitude is that as long as I am already here, I might as well do all I can to make the world a better place, to ease the suffering of others, and to experience love and life to its fullest.
Editor: There's so much here to comment on . . . where to begin? She actually makes some good points about some pro-life arguments -- they are entirely too subjective. But I don't believe subjectivity can be discounted completely, especially when you consider them from a post-modern perspective (all views are valid). 

Aside from all the things she suffered in the past, Beisner's greatest suffering is caused by blindness to the biblical worldview. It would explain suffering, God's sovereignty, the worth of an individual, and our purpose in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment