Why I perform abortions: A Christian obstetrician explains his choice

Why I perform abortions: A Christian obstetrician explains his choice | NJ.com: Willie J. Parker, an obstetrician based in Washington, D.C., didn’t always perform abortions. He’s a Christian ("fundamentalist Protestant") from Birmingham, Ala., who initially refused to even consider the procedure.


"I was taught that abortion is wrong. Yet as I pursued my career as an OB/GYN, I saw the dilemmas that women found themselves in. And I could no longer weigh the life of a pre-viable or lethally flawed fetus equally with the life of the woman sitting before me. In listening to a sermon by Dr. Martin Luther King, I came to a deeper understanding of my spirituality, which places a higher value on compassion. King said what made the good Samaritan 'good' is that instead of focusing on would happen to him by stopping to help the traveler, he was more concerned about what would happen to the traveler if he didn’t stop to help."

Editor: I wonder what accounted for his initial refusal. Did he not have compassion for women then? 

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment