Mum had abortion after kissing child with flu

Panicked mum-to-be Jill Demirel had an abortion - because she had kissed a child with mild swine flu. Jill ended her pregnancy in the 18th week even though she did NOT have the virus herself and her unborn daughter was fit and well. Despite reassurances from her GP, 32-year-old Jill convinced herself she would fall ill and die, damage her unborn baby and infect her two young sons and husband Hus. Jill said: "This was the hardest decision I have ever made but I felt it was the only option. I was petrified about what swine flu would do to me, to my unborn baby and my two boys."

Consultant Boon Lim, the pandemic flu planning expert for the Royal Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, urged pregnant women not to panic about swine flu. He said of Jill's action: "This sounds a very extreme measure and the lady concerned must have been very anxious. Pregnant women are more susceptible to the virus, but the majority of expectant mothers who contract swine flu will make a full recovery. Evidence suggests the virus does not cross the placenta to harm the baby, nor do the anti-viral drugs." People

No comments:

Post a Comment