Surprised by chastity

In an interview with Jane Campion, director of the new movie Bright Star, NPR's Melissa Block expresses surprise that passion can be pure:

BLOCK: We feel the intensity of the connection between John Keats and Fanny Brawne, even though their relationship is very chaste throughout the movie. . . . Was part of the appeal of telling this story sort of what you wouldn't show? I mean, there are no bodices being unlaced, and there's a lot of discretion, which I'm sure is very deliberate.

Ms. CAMPION: Yeah, I think the story touches me because of the restraint that was placed upon them. They got engaged finally, but they never did get married. . . . And I think it was sort of interesting to me how intense and in love these two could be without, well, having sex, I guess. NPR

Editor: A sad commentary on our times.

No comments:

Post a Comment