Reflection: The Sparrow Watcher

Sara Henkel of Hope Pregnancy Center in Willmar, MN, shares this reflection:

Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young - a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. --Psalm 84:3

Who cares about a sparrow? They have little beauty to behold. Small, plain, and brown - they all look alike. As they hurry to and from one cannot differentiate which one is which, or if one is more special than the other. They blend into their surroundings as they land in your neighborhood looking for food and water. Do you value them in your life at all? Do you care? God does!

After meeting with a client, whose situation was particularly bleak, the words and tune to "His Eye is on the Sparrow" came to my mind. I realized that our clients are like sparrows. Who cares for them, who is mindful of them, who values them, and truly loves them? As helpers, we often want to gather these clients up, take them home with us and care for them ourselves -- we can't. When I get frustrated that I cannot do more for our clients, their children, and their relationships, the peace I have is that God truly does cares. He wants the best for these women: he is a Sparrow Watcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment